Everyone makes mistakes, and it is never more evident when it comes to home decorating. Trends come and go, and each brings with it a new set of decorating mistakes.
I have asked a few interior design professional for their opinion of the worst decorating mistakes they see. Here's a list of the top 10.
1. Too Many Pillows. A little comfort is good but when it is impossible to sit on a sofa because there are too many pillows in the way or if you have to spend a lot of time removing and storing pillow in order to get into bed---you know you have too much of a good thing.
2. Headless Beds. The only thing to say about this is that nothing, repeat nothing, is worse than a bed without a headboard.
3. Furniture That's Out Of Proportion. That gorgeous sofa, love seat and chair looked so good in the large furniture store, but very crowded in your home or apartment. Make sure to take the measurements of your room sizes with you when you are furniture shopping.
4. Too Many Pictures. A grouping of pictures makes an interesting collection, but too many look like clutter.
5. Toilet Surrounding Rug. U-shaped rugs to surround your toilet are out. A much better choice is a small area rug in front of the toilet.
6. Floating Area Rugs. An area rug set in the middle of a room makes the furniture look off-balance, and the rug looks like it lost the furniture that should be sitting on top of it.
7. Keeping Dated Décor You Dislike. If you have a choice between purchasing a new piece of furniture or removing a furnishing that is obviously dated, worn and one you dislike---such as old shag carpeting---remove the out-of-date element.
8. Exposed Cables. Our electronic age has brought with it the problem of many cables and wires in our décor. Cables left out in the open can really destroy the style of a room. Whenever possible try to hide them with covers or under the baseboards.
9. Overdone Theme And Pattern. Too much is too much. A theme and pattern taken to the extreme makes a room feel like a stage set and not inviting to relax in.
10. Clutter. Always get rid of clutter. It makes a room feel as though you are entering a closet.
The best thing to do in order to avoid interior decorating mistakes is to look at the rooms in home decorating magazines and see how the furnishings are put together. If you need help and have the extra budget, you will find it beneficial to hire a professional interior designer to assist you in creating your beautiful rooms. Most interior designers will work with you on an hourly basis and come in to review your current décor and make suggestion for future purchases. This can give you the most bang for your budget.